1. Brazilian, Malaysian, Peruvian, Indian… whatever! This new trend of 100% ___ hair is becoming extremely ridiculous. Is it gorgeous? Of course, but why do some women feel the need to wear 5 bundles of hair in 22, 24, 26, 28, and 30 inches?
2. Caked on makeup. Everyone wants to look like a Porcelain Doll but not everyone knows how to apply their makeup. This contour makeup, false eyelashes, and the drawn on eyebrows! Everyone is starting to look alike.
3. Ripped jeans were once my absolute fav until some people started showing too much skin. I always paired my skinny- ripped jeans with a tank top and sandals during the day and pumps at night. My jeans did NOT have outrageous holes revealing parts of my body that only my husband should see but boy oh boy, I’ve seen some ripped jeans and body parts that caused me to have nightmares. Just because you tore your jeans on accident does not mean it is fashionable. I’m just sayin.
4. Plastic surgery. These injections…. well need I say more? The pictures say enough.
5. Leggings. Shaking my head. Hosiery is being confused with leggings. People are actually walking outside with “leggings” that are see through?! Shame on y’all. I can see your under garments, did you not look in the mirror before you left your house or do you just not care? It’s sickening and no one wants to see that. Have some class.
Summer 2012 will always be memorable. May to July was an experience. My first internship.
My supervisor was an amazing woman and she gave me an opportunity that I won’t ever forget.
When everyone else turned me down and showed me the door, she opened the door.
I was ready to give up. I’m glad I didn’t.
There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think about her and her team.
Let me not forget, I met Shen-Wei! You may know of him for his stunning choreography of the Opening Ceremonies of the 2008 Beijing Olympics. How many interns do you know of that had that opportunity?… I’ll wait while you think.
My point is, I never gave my supervisor the proper THANK YOU and as I sit at my computer desk and type this blog, I have this urge to pick up the phone and call her. Too bad it’s 11:54 p.m.
Til this day I am still shocked at how fortunate I was to snag an internship. I had hit rock bottom but she lifted me up and I found a new love for art.
This reminds me of a quote from one of my professors, “People always tell you the positive things that they’re doing in life but they forget to talk about the struggles and hardships they faced before they were big time.”
Nope, not me. I will share my struggles just as much as my success.
Is it ok to be angry? Is it ok to let your guard down? Is it ok to step outside of your comfort zone? The answer to all of these questions is yes. Black women, lets’ get it together, seriously. We put our guard up because we’re so afraid to trust, so afraid to love, and so afraid of the thought that someone could actually care for us. It’s sad. But hey, can you blame someone who has been hurt over and over again? Maybe it’s time to sit down and re-evaluate some things. Ask yourself why are you angry? Why are you afraid? Honestly, I think it’s because we are raised to be “strong, black, independent women.” Come on, we hear it all the time in songs…
"All the women who are independent Throw your hands up at me All the honey's who makin' money Throw your hands up at me"- Destiny's Child and
"I-n-d-e-p-e-n-d-e-n-t do you know what that mean?
She got to her own house
She got her own car..."- Lil Webbie
So, we believe independent is the thing to be. When actually, it is ok to let a man take care of you and treat you right. However, when a man does take the time to spoil or wine and dine us, we put that guard back up and think, “this is too good to be true.” Now here comes the assumptions. Assume: to make an ass of u & me. But mostly, yourself. It’s not worth it.
Why are you so afraid? Oh, you’re afraid because you’re so hurt. But why are you hurt? Honey, you’re hurt because you are holding on to so many things from the past. Learn to let go. Of course it’s easier said than done but it takes time, and it’s definitely something important. Holding grudges doesn’t work because at the end of the day you’re the one that still cares and is upset. Stop. Just stop. If you learn to let the past stay in the past you can open up and start a new you as well as a new relationship. Let the past go, you don’t deserve to be in pain.
Also, ladies… our mouth is our biggest weapon. I repeat, a woman’s mouth is her biggest weapon. Don’t believe me? Well, next time you’re arguing with your partner, just listen to some of the hurtful things that come out of that hole. If the tables turned and a male said those same words to you, wow, all hell would break loose.
Basically, it’s ok to love, it’s ok to forget the past and move forward no matter how hard it is, and it’s ok to get angry but think before you say something you might one day regret.
Can you survive without your iPhone, Galaxy S3s, internet, and tv? Of course you can’t, it’s 2013!
Hmm, well what if I told you that you didn’t need that fancy technology because you would be on a voyage “where dreams come true”? Well put your hands together and say hello to the Titanic II. Clive Palmer, an Australian mining tycoon has redesigned the historic ship and is anti-technology. But come on people, do you really need technology while enjoying 883 feet of attractions such as Turkish baths, a gymnasium, a theater,a swimming pool, and a casino? Nope, not really, unless you’re like me and have to capture every moment of your life for Instagram likes.
Its first voyage is scheduled to be from Shanghai to Southampton, England, and then on to New York carrying 2,435 passengers and 900 crew members. There is no surprise that the glamourous ship is being built in China.
So, when will the ship set sail… 2016.
Even though I’m not boarding the ship, I’m excited. Just the thought of another Titanic being out in the ocean is unbelievable. Who knows, maybe there will be a part 2 to the movie but this time with a happy ending…which means more Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet romantic deck scenes and another hit song from Celine Dion, ah yes, I love it already!
Of course the Twitter world made this news a trending topic with the hashtag #TitanicII and The Daily Candy tweeted: “All aboard ‘Titanic II’? Hopefully, it’s not run by Carnival.” Laugh Out Loud.